Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1992)

Subject: Re: How does majordomo get around sendmail limits
From: phil @ pex . eecs . nwu . edu (William LeFebvre)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 92 12:52:33 CST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

   Date: Wed, 28 Oct 92 09:36:52 -0800
   From: Michael Rutman <moose!moose @
 svcdudes .
 com>
   Sender: List-Managers-Owner @
 GreatCircle .
 COM

   I am using majordomo, and it looks like it justs creates and mantains an :include
   file for the aliases.  Don't these files have 1024 character limits?  Or am I just
   seriously misunderstanding things.

Probably depends on which sendmail you are using.  Older sendmails would
dump core if they tried to syslog a list of recipients that was longer
than 1024 characters, regardless of where that list came from.

IDA sendmail gets around this by syslogging each recipient on a
separate line (not, in my opinion, a very good feature, since log
files then tend to grow to ridiculous sizes).

ra.mcs.anl.gov, the home of sun-managers, runs IDA sendmail:

ra% cd /usr/lib/mail
ra% grep sun-managers-outbound aliases
sun-managers-outbound::include:/usr/lib/mail/sun-mgr/sun-managers-list
ra% wc sun-mgr/sun-managers-list
    1531    1531   38511 sun-mgr/sun-managers-list

Note that that's 1531 LINES and over 38000 characters.  Yes,
sun-managers has over 1500 primary recipients (and that doesn't count
all the users that are on local exploder lists).

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil @
 eecs .
 nwu .