Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1992)

Subject: sun-managers education
From: ken @ porsche . visix . COM (Ken Mayer)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1992 10:49:56 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

[I recently sent this to a poster to sun-managers. I am going to keep
a template around for future use and I thought others might like it
too. KLM]

Hi,

Thanks for the interesting announcement on POPmail 3.0. I will
certainly look into it for our network.

Mailing it to Sun Managers, however, is inappropriate. The Sun Managers
list is set up as a fast turnaround list for managers with an
emergency problem (please refer to the sun-managers charter, posted
monthly to the list). In the future, please post such announcements to
comp.newproducts, comp.sys.sun{.admin}, etc.

This is not a flame. During a recent conference, many of the major
contributors to the list reported that the traffic volume has become
too great for them to monitor it. Since the success on this list
depends on the knowledgeable people who read it, if the traffic drives
them out, the list's original usefulness will be lost. Those of us at
the conference agreed to start a grass roots education program to
inform users of the list of its purpose and to suggest more
appropriate alternatives.

If you are already aware of the provisions for using the Sun Managers
list and feel that your posting was legitimate, then I defer to your
good judgement on the matter. Please accept my apologies for the
intrusion.

Regards,
Ken Mayer
--
Ken "I don't need no stinkin' title" Mayer (ken @
 visix .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How does majordomo get around sendmail limits