Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Listserv vs News
From: "Michael H. Morse" <mmorse @ z . nsf . gov>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 14:39:31 EST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: ledwards @ nsf . gov, jcrawfor @ nsf . gov

I'd like to start some discussion of the virtues of Listserv-managed
mailing lists vs Net News for managing discussion groups.

There are some visionaries at my organization that feel that we will
see explosive implementation of PC-based news readers in the next year
or so, in the same way we've seen an explosion of Gopher clients.

These people feel that News is the way to go, because all the problems
of scaling, naming, resource discovery, user interface, archiving,
info-glut management, etc., have been solved in the decades that News
has been around.  We are thinking of converting, as much as possible,
to using News in the future.  The idea is that once people have a News
reader on their desktop, there will be very little interest in
Bitnet-style listservs, and most of the issues discussed here go away
entirely.

Comments, anyone?

--Mike

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Header fields to change or add before distributing