Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Listserv vs News
From: Chris Siebenmann <cks @ hawkwind . utcs . toronto . edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 15:33:30 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, ledwards @ nsf . gov, jcrawfor @ nsf . gov

 I think it's pretty clear that news has much better mechanisms
for dealing with large volumes of traffic and multiple lists/newsgroups.
Arguably it has better ways of discovering about new and existing
ones (especially new ones). There are ways of doing all of this
inside mail, but none of them are common now and I suspect that news
(by its nature) will always be ahead of mail here.

	- cks