Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Listserve vs News
From: dmb @ palm . cray . com
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 92 14:45:30 -0600
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

   I must respectfully disagree with your associates, though they may be
right in the very far future when net access becomes near universal.  The
list I manage is a small one, about 60 subscribers and single digit messages
per week, though the traffic is very bursty.  I know that our 60 subscribers
aren't the only people interested in barbershop quartet singing, but I doubt
that the interest will ever reach a level that would justify a news group.
News groups are great when you have subjects that lots of people at a site
would be interested in, the savings of batched delivery and a central repository
outweigh the extra disk space, but the mail list still has its advantages
for small groups talking about subjects of limited interest.  That's part of
the reason that the Newsgroup creation guidelines require 100 more yes-votes
than no-votes.  If you can't even get 100 yes-votes, you probably should
operate as a mail list.

David Bowen

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Listserv vs News