Reasons to use list managers instead of or in addition to netnews:
(1) Small lists (already mentioned).
(2) Private lists (i.e., subscriptions are controlled for some reason).
(3) Lists where it is desired to limit who can post (without having a
(4) Service to users lacking access to netnews (already mentioned). It
would be nice if gatewaying between the news and lists were easier, so
that both formats could be easily provided.
(5) Lists used to broadcast important announcements.
I can imagine someone who is not really into electronic discussion, but
who needs to be a member of a couple of low activity lists because of
their job. Such a person might well prefer email to netnews. Not
everyone is a net junkie.
Roger Fajman Telephone: +1 301 402 1246
National Institutes of Health BITNET: RAF @
Bethesda, Maryland, USA Internet: RAF @