Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Listserve vs News
From: Gess Shankar <gess @ knex . gwinnett . COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 92 19:57:05 EST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Gwinnett.COM!emory!palm.cray.com!dmb writes:
[stuff deleted for brevity]
> for small groups talking about subjects of limited interest.  That's part of
> the reason that the Newsgroup creation guidelines require 100 more yes-votes
> than no-votes.  If you can't even get 100 yes-votes, you probably should
> operate as a mail list.

I am a novice list operator (2 days old). The subject matter is multimedia
under OS/2. Due to very light traffic on this subject in various comp.os.os2
newsgroups, I felt a mailing list might be in order. But on the first day
of announcement, I got about 100 subscriptions. Subs are still trickling
in. Does this mean, I should have proposed a multimedia newsgroup creation
rather than launch a list?

I have about 10 postings today exploding to 1000+ mail messages. Feelings
are similar to Adam, who said to Eve, "Stand back, I don't know how big
this thing is going to get!". ;-)

Do the lists keep growing or do they reach an optimum level and tend to
stay at that level with additions canceling out sign-offs?

Bemused list owner.

GeSS
--
Gess Shankar      |<><>|Internet: gess @
 knex .

From: Raphael Manfredi <ram @ eiffel . com>
Next: Re: Listserve vs News
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Listserve vs News
From: "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi @ net . bio . net>
Next: Re: Listserve vs News
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>