Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: How to deal with bounces
From: Gess Shankar <gess @ knex . Gwinnett . COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 19:03:44 EST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Is there some sort of standard way of treating various bounced messages?

I have been getting bounced mail with every mailing with a variety of
reasons. e.g.

 host not known
 cannot send messages for three days
 xxx host is down
 cannot parse address...

Etc. The vexing thing is that addresses are good one time, but not the next.
I weed out addresses that consistantly fail.

The question is:
 Should I attempt to resend the bounced messages after some time, days or
 wait for repeated bounces from the same address before stepping in and
 unsubscribing the offending address?

Are such things normal for lists?

GeSS
--
Gess Shankar      |<><>|Internet: gess @
 knex .

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: another mail based server which may be of interest