Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Vandalism problems
From: Jim Lick <jim @ pi-chan . ucsb . edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1992 14:10:27 -0800 (PST)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Dear List Managers,

	On Thursday of this week I received a message which concerned
me a good deal.  The message was a bounce from a BITNET listserv that
was sent to one of my mailing lists.  It seems that someone sent a
forged message attempting to subscribe one of my mailing lists to
another mailing list.  Fortunately the vandal had as much smarts as
scruples.  He sent the subscribe request to the remote list address
instead of the listserv address, so it failed.  The listserv was
smart enough to reject the message since it contained listserv commands
but ws not sent to the listserv.  Anyways, I would like to solicit
discussion on this type of thing.  In particular if you have noticed
anything like this happening on one of your lists lately, I urge you
to report it.  Any other suggestions, etc. etc. would be appreciated.

--- jim @
 pi-chan .
 ucsb .
 edu --- Jim Lick --- jim @
 tcp .
 com --- jIngOrO @
 CaveMUCK ---
--:):-- perfect little dream the kind that hurts the most -- |\| | |/| --:(:--
--- CaveMUCK is back! --- Telnet to cave.tcp.com (128.95.10.106) port 2283 ---

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Form of ANN-LOTS header