Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: For your amusement
From: chk @ alias . com (C. Harald Koch)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1992 15:08:33 -0500
To: RAF @ CU . NIH . GOV (Roger Fajman)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I'm not amused.  This is not the way to encourage novices to
> learn to use the network.  It's a good way to scare people away.

Hand-holding obviously doesn't work; I've had the same 'clueless users' do
the same stupid things over and over again, despite my politely correcting
them (usually in person). They just assume that I'm going to continue to
hold their hands, and never learn. The clueless messages were very polite; I
don't see anything wrong there.

I expect a certain level of competence from people on The Net (tm); it's
still required to participate. Quite honestly, someone who a) can't figure
out how to subscribe/unsubscribe from a list, despite all the documentation
and b) responds with messages such as those presented here, is someone that
I don't want on any mailing lists I belong to.

UseNet news is for clueless users; in my experience mailling lists are most
often an attempt to focus discussion on a technical subject without having
to put up with stupid questions.

Maybe you think I'm being heavy handed; go wade through the comp.sys.*
hierarchy sometime for examples of the drivel that we're subjected to
nowadays.

--
Main's Law: For every       | C. Harald Koch  Alias Research, Inc. Toronto, ON
action, there is an equal   | chk @
 alias .
 com                (work-related mail)
and opposite goverment      | chk @