Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: For your amusement
From: Adam S. Moskowitz <adamm @ inset . com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 17:25:43 EST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

In his message of Thu, 24 Dec 1992 15:08:33 -0500, chk @
 alias .
 com (C.
Harald Koch) wrote:

>> I'm not amused.  This is not the way to encourage novices to
>> learn to use the network.  It's a good way to scare people away.
>
> Hand-holding obviously doesn't work;
> . . .
> I expect a certain level of competence from people on The Net (tm); it's
> still required to participate.

I have to agree. If this were any other setting, I'd be willing to bet
that folks who didn't know how to get started would ask around until they
found someone who could help them rather than blindly forge ahead.

Given the state of the technical world today, I find it hard to believe
that there's anyone out there who doesn't know somebody who can point
them in the right direction, or who doesn't know somebody who knows
somebody who . . . That being so, I think it perfectly reasonable that
folks: 1) Do it right; 2) Find someone who can tell them how to do it
right; or 3) Get blasted for doing it wrong.

Saying that the software should correct the user's mistakes is, to me,
like saying the government should protect us from our own stupidity. Fuck
that - you do something, it's your responsibility to do it right or
suffer the consequences, especially when what you do affects other
people. I think that automatic subscription to the clueless-users mailing
list falls well within standards of ``nor cruel and unusual punishments
inflicted.''

AdamM
--
"The second law of thermodynamics states that, left to    | Adam S. Moskowitz
themselves, things tend to go to hell in a handbasket."   | adamm @
                                                          | ...!uunet!\
Cecil Adams (The Boston Phoenix)                          |      usinset!adamm

From: chk @ alias . com (C. Harald Koch)
Next: Re: For your amusement
From: Scott Ophof <ophof @ SERVER . uwindsor . ca>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: For your amusement
From: chk @ alias . com (C. Harald Koch)
Next: Re: For your amusement
From: Scott Ophof <ophof @ SERVER . uwindsor . ca>