Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: For your amusement
From: Scott Ophof <ophof @ SERVER . uwindsor . ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 18:02:53 EST
To: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM> (List managers)

Roger Fajman said:
>I'm not amused.  This is not the way to encourage novices to
>learn to use the network.  It's a good way to scare people away.

1: A good way to encourage novices is to present them with
   decently readable online documentation, help files, etc.
   Stuff that tells them what they *need*, without assuming
   that novices are gurus.  Most documentation I've seen over
   the years (ANY kind of environment, whether computer-related
   or not!) assumes a lot of things from the novice, and most of
   those things should *not* be assumed.  BTW, "common sense" can
   be quite envir-related...  :-(

2: A good way to encourage novices to *read* documentation is to
   show them what happens if they don't, in a fashion that shows
   at least some humour.  In that sense this Clueless thing seems
   rather nice to me.  :-)

3: A good way to get doc-writers to set up their doc in a really
   useful way is to ensure that those doc-writers are *not* the
   people who wrote the application, who are also not familiar
   with the application, but more than familiar enough with the
   way novices think.

IMHO more people are scared away due to the combination of LACK of
decent docs followed by unexpected results, than things like Clueless
itself.

Regards, and merry Xmas.
$$/             (F. Scott Ophof  <ophof @
 server .