Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1993)

Subject: Mail lost through crash of Mycroft.GreatCircle.COM
From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 93 21:34:02 PDT
To: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)

Mycroft.GreatCircle.COM (aka FTP.GreatCircle.COM and GreatCircle.COM)
suffered a major disk crash on Monday night, 26 April 93.  The machine
was returned to service on Wednesday night, 28 April 93.  The machine
was restored to its state as of 0130 PDT Sunday 25 April 93 (0830 GMT),
which means that everything done on the machine Sunday and Monday was
lost.

Any mail sent to or through GreatCircle.COM between 0130 PDT Sunday 25
April 93 (0830 GMT Sunday 25 April 93) and about 2330 PDT Monday 26
April 93 (0630 GMT Tuesday 27 April 93) has been lost.

Any mail sent to or through GreatCircle.COM after about 2330 PDT Monday
26 April 93 (0630 GMT Tuesday 27 April 93) should be OK, and will be
processed over the next day or so as things get caught up around here.

If you sent mail to me personally (Brent @
 GreatCircle .
 COM) on Sunday or
Monday, I may or may not have seen it before the crash.  If I saw it, I
I probably replied to it before the crash, but I've lost both your
original and my reply.  I'd appreciate it if you could resend any mail
you sent to me during that period, even if I already replied to it, so
that I have a record (if you could also send me a copy of my own reply
to you, that would be fantastic).

If you sent mail to Majordomo @
 GreatCircle .
 COM on Sunday or Monday,
you'll need to send it again, even if you got back a confirmation from
Majordomo that it had been processed.  The mailing lists were on the
disk that died, so they're back to where there were as of 0130 PDT
Sunday 25 April 93.

If you sent mail to one of the mailing lists here (Firewalls,
List-Managers, Majordomo-Users, and PhoneStation) on Sunday or Monday,
it may or may not have been forwarded to the list, but it's missing
from the archives.  I don't remember anything earth-shaking being
posted during that period, but I could be mistaken.  If you got a copy
of your message back from the list, then everybody else did too, and
there's no need to resend it.  If you sent something and haven't gotten
a copy back, or if you sent something and did get a copy back but you
think it's critical that it make it into the archives, you should send
it again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  My apologies if you end up getting multiple
copies of this; it's going out to several mailing lists.  Thanks for your
help!

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Gopher Service for Mailbase