Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(April 1993)

Subject: Re: Help in setting up a list.
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 11:24:58 -0700
To: "N. Saravanan" <saravan @ amber . me . fau . edu>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

# Hello subscribers:
#
# I know this is a very stupid question and I am not even sure if I should waste
# your time by asking this.
#
# I have been given the responsibility of setting up a mailing list. It needs
# to meet the following requirements:
#
# (1) It has to be in a digest form. (Similar to list-managers-digest).
# (2) It has to be moderated.
# (3) It has to run on a Sun Sparc. I have downloaded the listserver6.0 software
#     and compiled it.
#
# I would like to have a format for the digest as follows:
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# <Name of the list>  <Date>   <Volume # : Number #>
#
# Some announcements if any go here.
#
#
# Then followed by actual e-mail from subscribers after they have been moderated.
#
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

RFC1153 defines how digests are supposed to look.  If you don't follow
the spec, lots of "undigestify" programs will break.

I'd use "digest" (available for anonymous FTP from
FTP.GreatCircle.COM, file pub/list-managers/tools/digest.shar) for
this.  "digest" spools articles as they come in, then creates and
sends digests later.  I normally run a "cron" job to create the
digests, but there's no reason you couldn't edit the files (the
moderation you want) then run "digest" by hand instead.

There's one feature of "digest" that you'd need to bypass: it
automatically creates and sends digests when they grow past a certain
size.  If you want a chance to moderate the messages first, you'd need
to disable that (easiest way is probably to set the size parameter
that controls this behavior to some insanely big (effectively
infinite) size; this is configurable on a per-list basis).

Here are the relevant aliases for a digest called "Sample-Digest":

sample-digest: "|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper digest -r
	-c /usr/local/mail/digest/sample-digest.cf"
sample-digest-send: "|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper resend -p bulk
	-l Sample-Digest -f Sample-Digest-Owner
	-h GreatCircle.COM -s sample-digest-outgoing"
sample-digest-outgoing:
	:include:/usr/local/mail/lists/sample-digest
sample-digest-owner: brent
owner-sample-digest: sample-digest-owner
owner-sample-digestify: sample-digest-owner
owner-sample-digest-send: sample-digest-owner
owner-sample-digest-outgoing: sample-digest-owner
owner-sample-digest-owner: brent

Mail sent to "sample-digest" is spooled for later processing by
"digest -r".

When the "digest" program creates a digest, it sends it to
"sample-digest-send" (although the headers say it was sent to
"sample-digest"; the headers lie), which sends it out to the members
of the list.

The "sample-digest.cf" configuration file would contain all the
configuration info for "Sample-Digest" that will be used by the
"digest" program.  It specifies the name of the digest, what the
addresses in the header should be, the names of the files containing
the volume number, issue number, header data (announcements, etc.),
and trailer data, and so forth.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Help in setting up a list.