Subject: Re: lists and problem hosts/sites
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 16:23:20 -0700
To: Gene Rackow <rackow @ mcs . anl . gov>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

# Do some list maintainers NOT allow people to subscribe to their lists
# because of where they are getting their email service?  Basicly have people
# gotten fed up with certain sites that they will just refuse to add people from
# that site to their list because they have a pattern of failure shortly after
# subscription.

I haven't had to make any kind of formal mechanism for that yet.  I
_do_ get real annoyed when I bounce somebody because of returned mail,
they resubscribe, and the response to their resubscription bounces...

# PS:  The biggest offender for this problem is people at compuserve.com.
# They have a 100 message limit.

I have exactly one CompuServe subscriber and one CompuServe staff
member (who uses what appears to be a normal UNIX email address on
another machine in the CompuServe.COM domain) among all the dozens of
lists and several thousand subscribers that I run.  They haven't been
a big problem for me.

On the other hand (as some of you have unfortunately experienced
first-hand), I'm _very_ agressive about bouncing people with mail
problems from my lists.  Basicly, if I get bounced email for your
address, you're out of there and onto the "Bounces" list that I've
described here before, banished until you get your problem solved and
resubscribe yourself.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Pegasus X-Pmrqc header