I sent the previous message a bit too soon. Even after removing all the
.BITNET addresses, the error messages returned. So I deleted all of the
names in the mailing-list file. And the error messages returned. And then
stopped (for now, I'm afraid). I haven't gotten any in 100 minutes, so maybe
the world is safe again.
Thanks to the folks who contacted me from my previous posting.
I got through to the mail admin at cmsa.berkeley.edu, and she said that it
looks like it is their fault. She'll attack it in the morning. She said that
.BITNET addresses are always a problem.
This bodes poorly for my first foray into mail-list-leadership. I'll
decide tomorrow what to do about the list. I have 100 people, most of them
rank novices, who have their mailboxes hosed by the list. I doubt I can
regain any credibility for the list.