Subject: Re: reply to sender problem
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 93 14:40:37 -0700
To: troyer @ heffalump . mmwb . ucsf . edu
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

#
# Hi --
#
# I keep getting replies to my mailing list with To: fields like:
#
# To: Atlantis-Owner (Rich Skrenta)
#
# It seems to be mixing information from both the Sender: and the From:
# fields of the original letters. The Atlantis-Owner comes from the Sender:
# field, and (Rich Skrenta) was the real name from the original From: field.
# (The original header of the letter that was replied to is listed below.)
#
# (The list name is Atlantis. Atlantis-Owner is me, which is not what the
# Reply-er wanted. I am using Brent's resend script to run the list)
#
# Now these are probably pathological mailers, but is there anything
# I can do about this? Am I doing everything right?

As far as I can tell, your headers are correct.  Somebody else's
broken mailer is replying to the "Sender:" field rather than the
"Reply-To:" or "From:" field.

You could add code to "resend" to add a "Reply-To:" header to outgoing
messages.  Those broken mailers might prefer that to "Sender:", but
who knows.  If you want replies to come back to the list, make
"Reply-To:" the mailing list (non "-owner") address; if you want them
to come back to the originator of the message, make it the same as the
"From:" line.  Regardless, you should probably leave existing
"Reply-To:" fields alone, and only add ones to messages that don't
already have one.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Marc . Rinfret @ eng . canadair . ca suggested that I forward this