Subject: Re: X-Listserver (Re: Pegasus X-Pmrqc header)
From: Peter Svanberg <psv @ nada . kth . se>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 11:29:22 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: psv @ nada . kth . se

Quoting John Martin:

>I also agreed to contact this list to try to achieve a consenus for
>identifying mail which has come from a mailing list.  David will try
>to make provision for this in future versions of Pegasus if we can
>agree...
>
>(Dictator hat on)
>
>I think it would be nice if we all agreed on the format of a header to
>be added by our various list servers - would this be acceptable to the
>group? I prefer the 'X-Listserver:' form but I'm open to suggestions.

Quoting:  Stephen R. van den Berg

> I already use a different field.  It was suggested previously (about
> four months ago).
>
> To every outgoing mail I add:

> The format for the X-Mailing-List field would be:
>
> 	<submission_address_for_the_list> archive_retrieval_key
>
> The "Predence: list" field should be added by all mailinglist generated
> mail.  It solves problems with the configuration of old sendmails
> (which don't send bounces on "Precedence: bulk").  And it is supported
> by Sendmail-6.XX and BSD4.4-vacation.

1) I haven't seen any definition of the purpose of the field we
   are trying to agree upon. If it is to identify that "This
   is a message sent out to this mailing list", then
   (X-)Mailing-List is natural. If the purpose is to identify
   which mailing list software was used to distribute the
   message, then X-Listmanager is natural.

2) I think an "archive_retrieval_key" is too much, a
   "sequence_number" is enough. Amongst others, the key can
   become out of date. (In the above example: For how long is
   this list regarded as "latest"?) Then it's more important to
   use the space to inform the user about the name of the
   list.

   I suggested in nov -92 (and still do):

   ---
7) Add a field on this form:

   Example:

 GreatCircle .

   This is something we would like to promote. It is useful for (at
   least) three purposes:

   a) It identifies the message as a mailing list ditto and makes it
      easy for an incoming-mail-sorter.

   b) It serves as a loop detector - any incoming message containing
      this field with the correct list address can be dumped.

   c) The sequence number faciliates for a subscriber to find out if
      he missed some message on the list. Also, it is easier for
      anyone to refer to a number than to a long message-id.
   ---

3) If we can come to an agreement on this field, maybe we should
   try to officially register it, as stated in RFC 822? I have
   been told that nobody have done this before so it's about time...
   (If we succeed we could skip the "X-" prefix!)
---
Peter Svanberg, NADA, KTH		    Email: psv @
 nada .
 kth .
 se
Dept of Num An & CS,
Royal Inst of Tech			    Phone: +46 8 790 71 40
S-100 44  Stockholm, SWEDEN		    Fax:   +46 8 790 09 30