Subject: Re: X-Listserver (Re: Pegasus X-Pmrqc header)
From: chip @ chinacat . unicom . com (Chip Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 07:52:00 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Peter Svanberg writes:
 GreatCircle .

This fails to comprehend secondary exploders -- and that's a critical
issue.  How many times have people harassed you for not dropping them
from your mailing list when they aren't even in the distribution?

All email redistribution I perform, whether it be mailing lists I run,
those I explode and redistribute, or just aliases I forward to a couple
of people get pushed through a `resend' utility that tacks on something
like:

The header to do what we want already exists in RFC-822, and it's
called `Resent-Sender'.  Unfortunately, my reading of RFC-822 tells
me that it has been specified in such a way as to be unusable for this
purpose.

If you are going to specify a `Resent-Sender' you also need to have
a `Recent-From'.  Moreover, you are limited to just one `Resent-Sender'
in the header, and cannot simply tack on additional ones as the message
passes through subsequent exploders and gateways.  Pity.

I guess I can understand the second restriction.  You might argue the
Resent-Sender is the proper place to send bounces, and so it should
indicate the last place it passed through.  I don't see any reason
for the first requirement, though.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-447-0577 | I'm going out where the lights don't shine so
Unicom Systems Development   | bright.  When I get back you can treat me like