Subject: Re: X-Listserver (Re: Pegasus X-Pmrqc header)
From: johnw @ bahainvs . org (John Wiegley)
Date: Fri, 28 May 93 10:03:34 EDT
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Stephen R. van den Berg hat geschrieben:
 bahainvs .
 org)

> Sure, add it if you have to.  All the mailinglists I run use the
> well known daily-quote-request address for administrivia.  So, because
> this name can be inferred from the mailinglist name, there is no need
> to add YAEF (Yet Another Extra Field :-).

Actually, the reason why the -request address SHOULDN'T appear in
the "X-Listserver" field is because X-Listserver is pointing to the
LISTSERVER, not the LIST MANAGER.  The Listserver is what controls
all of the lists on my machine.  The List Manager is just the poor
sod who has to run the list.  In fact, it may even be proper on some
lists to have:

Of course, this does appear to be getting a bit ridiculous.  Because
the "main listserv" address usually CANNOT be inferred, X-Listserver
appears to have some usefulness.  "X-List-Manager" would only be used
on those lists where the membership should know exactly who is managing/
moderating the list.  "X-Mailing-List" is kind of redundant, but it
may have processing value.  "X-Mailing-List-Archive" (or "X-Archive")
seems extraneous.  But hey, why not?

John

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: X-Listserver (Re: Pegasus X-Pmrqc header)