Subject: Re: Dealing with GEnie
From: "Shannon D. Appel" <appel @ soda . berkeley . edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 10:56:44 -0700
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>One of the members of my mailing list just made a shocking revalation.
>She said that GEnie is "archiving the Fatfree Digest on their Food &
>Wine Library".  What the heck does she mean (I know nothing about
>GEnie)?  I do have two members who get the digest through their GEnie
>accounts.  Does GEnie operate local exploders?  Is one of my members
>uploading the digest to some sort of pool?  And why the heck wasn't I
>informed?

The 'Libraries' in GEnie are collections of files that have been
uploaded by subscribers.  It's very likely that one of your GEnie
subscribers is archiving your Digest in one of these areas.  GEnie
itself has nothing to do with it.

>Not sure how I feel about this (especially since I don't know exactly
>what is going on).  Afterall, GEnie is a for-profit system and I don't
>like the idea of them using my mailing list (which I provide for free)
>as some sort of service that they are providing for a fee (especially
>when they don't ask my permission).  Individual email is one thing, an
>archive is a whole 'nother beast.

Well, I'll give you that the subscriber is being somewhat impolite by
not letting you know that he's archiving your Digest.  However, he's
also helping to spread the Digest to people who wouldn't have
otherwise seen it.  Since you assumedly are running your Digest to
provide certain information to people, that would seem to be a good
thing.

GEnie _is_ making money every time someone downloads your digest from
the library, but I don't see why that's a big deal.  Sure, they're
making money off of something you do for free, but they're _really_
making that money because they're providing a service that people
wouldn't otherwise have access too.

If it really stresses you out, place a compilation copyright on your
digest.  I, personally, am happy when my Digests are archived on
GEnie, or Compuserve or American On Line, because it means that many
more people are reading it (and thus, it makes putting together the
Digest that much more worthwhile).

Shannon