From: paulh @ hamjudo . mi . org (Paul Haas)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 00:49:45 EDT
To: chuq @ apple . com, jeff @ onion . rain . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In list-managers chuq @
 apple .
 com wrote:
Chuq> Other people likely disagree. There is no right answer, except for each
Chuq> individual. ...

I mostly agree with Chuq.  I want to expand on that last point, a
reasonable person could run different lists with different policies.

Each mailing list should have a charter.  If you feel strongly about
this sort of thing, set the rules in the charter.  If you feel very
strongly, put the rules as a header or footer on each message.

In list-managers jeff @
 onion .
 rain .
 com  (Jeff Beadles) wrote in a reply to chuq:
Jeff> So, in other words, say I bound a mailing list into a book and sold it
Jeff>  for a profit, that would be ok too?  (I'm just disseminating the information.)

Everytime I get quoted correctly in a national magazine, I think it is
really cool.  A whole book with my mailing list, wow, that would be
megacool.  On the other hand, if I get misquoted, the coolness factor
drops significantly.  If you edit my mailing list and publish it, I
will probably not be happy.

Making a book out of the lists I currently run would just be pointless,
but if you want to, you can.  Someone (a real user) actually got the
whole archive for one of my mailing lists and read it.  He later
remarked on how it was a masochistic thing to do.  The value of the
lists drops dramatically when the information gets stale.  What is
the shelf life of your mailing list?

I also run a mailing list for former employees of a certain company.
It is a closed list.  It is not appropriate to redistribute that mailing
list by any means.

Paul Haas
paulh @
 hamjudo .
 mi .
 org

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: GEnie and mailing lists