Subject: Tuning sendmail?
From: Dave Sill <de5 @ sws1 . CTD . ORNL . GOV>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 11:08:32 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I run two large (~500 international recipients) lists on a DECstation
5000/240 running Ultrix 4.3.  The lists are managed by Majordomo, but
sent out through a resender that maintains a database of message-ID's
(to prevent looping problems), filters out subscribe/unsubscribe
requests, etc.  I'm invoking sendmail with the options "-odb -oep -oi".

Everything works fine, but I'm wondering if there's any way to improve
the turnaround time.  The delay, according to syslog, ranges up to 3
hours for successful delivery on the first attempt.  Monitoring the
sending process using top, I see that there's frequently idle CPU
time, so it's not CPU bound.

What, if anything, can I do to speed this up?  Would sorting the list
by hostname help?  (I think not, since it only takes sendmail a few
minutes to start sending messages out.)  How about splitting up the
list and invoking sendmail individually on the pieces?  Any other
ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dave Sill (de5 @
 ornl .

Indexed By Date Previous: Bouncing errors