Subject: Re: Tuning sendmail?
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ SEARN . SUNET . SE>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 21:58:10 +0200
To: "F. Scott Ophof" <Ophof @ cs . uwindsor . ca>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, "Michael H. Morse" <mmorse @ z . nsf . gov>

On Mon,  30 Aug 1993  16:01:25 EDT "Michael H.  Morse" <mmorse @
 z .
 nsf .
 gov>
said:

>> Actually, I'm  rather shocked that  this imho rather  obvious solution
>> hasn't yet been suggested and  implemented in the Internet world. Will
>> someone please prove me wrong in some way?!?
>
>The problem was solved long ago. It's called news.

Actually, news has a much higher turnaround time than DISTRIBUTE and also
uses  up  a  lot  more  bandwidth for  typical  mailing  lists  (100-5000
subscribers),  since  tens  of  thousands   of  sites  without  a  single
subscribers have  to relay the  messages. Anyway  I am not  interested in
this discussion.  LISTSERV has had a  working solution to the  problem of
"large" lists since  1987 and I have  no interest in being  told that the
problem  only exists  in my  mind and/or  that everyone  should use  news
instead. I am sure there is a newsgroup or ten for LISTSERV-bashing, I am
equally sure that it is  not gatewayed to the eric @
 searn .
 sunet .
 se mailing
list, and I like it that way :-)

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Tuning sendmail?