Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1993)

Subject: A question of philosophy
From: Chris Seabrook <cds @ ossi . com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 10:05:19 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I thought people might find my experiences with the lists run from ossi.com
interesting.

We use a home grown script to archive mailing list posting, stamp the subject
line with the listname and a sequence number and resend the post. The other
thing which the script does is insert a Reply-To: <listname> header into the
message. I elected to do this because we were seeing a lot of information
(particularly on our local technical lists) disappearing into private email
when people replied without looking at the headers, now all replies by default
go to the list.

I've been quite amused by the resction to this on the public lists we run.
Most subscribers seem happy with it, and indeed I've received several messages
saying how useful it is, however a small and vocal minority object to this
strongly. I think mostly those with doubtful MUA's. The particulat combination
I am asked for most frequently is to have list posting appear From: <author>,