Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1993)

Subject: Re: A question of philosophy
From: Keith Moore <moore @ cs . utk . edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1993 17:46:00 -0500
To: chip @ chinacat . unicom . com (Chip Rosenthal)
Cc: paulh @ ox . com (Paul Haas), cds @ ossi . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com, moore @ cs . utk . edu

Chip Rosenthal writes:

> My solution is to munge headers to ensure the list name appears in
> the To: address.  This allows people with mailers that support both
> reply and group-reply functions to work corectly.  Messing with Reply-To
> headers is a mistake.  I learned that the hard way.  It's a simple
> and naive answer to the problem.  I fell for it, and many others have
> too.  It, however, is a cure worse than the problem.

Did you mean the From: address?  (I ask because changing the To: address
doesn't cause reply-to-sender-only traffic to go to the list, and I'm
guessing that this is what you mean by "reply" as opposed to "group-reply".)

On many lists (like ietf), I don't read everybody's messages; I scan the
list of senders and subjects and decide which topics are worth my concern.
Changing the From address would prevent this.

> Messing with Reply-to headers is a mistake.

Just curious...what were the problems?  While I generally prefer that
list expanders do minimal munging of message headers, it seems like the
"add a reply-to header if the sender didn't supply one" behavior would
work as well as anything else I've seen.

Keith