Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1993)

Subject: Re: listproc passwords
From: Pres Smith <cons052 @ titan . ucs . umass . edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 11:30:10 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

  I wrote:

    [.....]

>      In any event there isn't much anyone can do with an email list
>  password, since both the "From: " address and the password must
>  match--a catch-22 that renders this feature of little use for changing
>  the address, since in most instances the systems people have already
>  changed the address and it no longer matches.

       I'm informed that this is incorrect.   The address can be changed
   with the password alone, even if the "From: " header field no longer
   matches the original subscription address.   There is another feature
   to listproc that I haven't used--the interactive "live" mode--in
   which it is possible to change a subscriber's address that has
   already changed.

       Sorry for spreading my own misinformation.
             Pres
  Prescott Smith   -  Univ. of Mass/Amherst   -  pgsmith @
 UCSVAX .
 ucs .
 umass .
 edu
     Ednet - a forum exploring the educational potential of the Internet
   e-mail to:  Listserv @
 nic .
 umass .
 edu   1st line:  Sub Ednet (Your Name)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: listproc passwords