Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1994)

Subject: Commercials
From: Pres Smith <cons052 @ titan . ucs . umass . edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 1994 10:11:50 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

     The number people "subscribing" to my list primarily for the
 purpose of appealing to the "market" of its subscribers has
 accelerated in recent months.   Some of these are "non-profits"
 in the sense that they are private schools.   Others are publishers.
 Some just have something to offer at or below cost.

     Some are of legitimate interest to the list, but this is easily
 abused and could turn the list from one of educational discussion to
 an announcement list.   Often these are not in the form of ads or
 press releases, but masked as discussion with "plugs" included.

     I'm trying to develop guidelines that will be enforcible, if
 necessary.   The AUP's are far too vague and, depending on interpre-
 tation, would permit just about anything.   Does anyone have any
 suggestions or pointers to other lists who have successfully dealt
 with the problem?

     What is the preferred recourse?   Suspension of the subscriber?
 Flaming?   Shunning?   Shaming?   A kill/ignore file?   What are
 the legalities?

     Pres Smith
     pgsmith @
 educ .