Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1994)

Subject: List Problems
From: sysop @ biome . bio . ns . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 11:53:54 -0400 (AST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I've just set up a new list and although it is just like all the other
lists I've got running, same permissions and all, it isn't functioning
properly.  Some subscriptions are being processed OK, but I keep on
running into problems associated with shlock.pl that generate pages of
the following sort of error message:

trying lock "/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/L.fish-ecology" for pid 10495
temporary filename "/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/.locks/shlock.10495"
lock "/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/L.fish-ecology" already exists
checking extant lock "/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/L.fish-ecology"
process 10403 is extant lock is valid

I suspect that there is too much traffic for the locking mechanism to
handle, since sometimes a subscription attempt bounces but then the same
message, when re-sent, is processed OK.

This is proving a real headache, since I set the system up for a chap in
Spain and he is baffled by all the error messages.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Bill Silvert

BIOME SysOp, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Institute of Oceanography.
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2, Attn. Bill Silvert
InterNet Address: sysop @
 biome .
 bio .
 ns .
 ca		Phone: (902)426-1577.

Indexed By Date Previous: Null characters ruining my digest