Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1994)

Subject: Re: How do I treat AOLers mailing to wrong address?
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ mycroft . GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 1994 23:23:00 -0700
To: gess @ knex . mind . org (Gess Shankar)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Gess Shankar <gess @
 knex .
 mind .
 org> writes:

# I have aired this problem here before. For some reason, aol seems
# to want to present either the envelope From_ address or the
# to respond to that address. At least that is what I think is happening
# because only those two headers are set to the List Owner address.
#
# When I scan the mail expecting bounces etc. at that address, I find
# mail meant for lists from aol users. What I have to do is to read
# the mail, figure out which list it may belong to based on either
# a continuing thread or the subject matter and route it there, as
# I run a number of lists from here. I do this because some of the
# contributions of the AOLers are quite good. But this is getting
# tedious.
#
# Question is: Should I just ignore the mailing?
#              Should I bounce the mail?
#              Should I return the mail with a note about proper
#              addressing etc.?

I generally return the messages to the sender with a note that
explains what they should have done, but it's very low priority for me
unless it's a particularly intersting posting; it's often days or
weeks before I get far enough down my "to do" list to get to
cleaning out my inbox and processing such mail.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates  | Call or email for info about
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Monthly Reminders