Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1994)

Subject: Re: Need to move a list to a willing host
From: Dave Sill <de5 @ de5 . CTD . ORNL . GOV>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 08:49:38 -0400
To: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>It seems that there might be discussion at this point of HOW one moves a
>list.  I had a very painful experience with a list that was moved from
>my machine without my cooperation (the list owner just moved the
>addresses to another site), and ever since I get angry messages from
>people who don't know why my server won't respond to requests to
>unsubscribe.

That's definitely not the best way to do it.  :-)

>One solution is to tell people to subscribe to the new list.  There is a
>disadvantage in that some subscribers may miss the message.

That's better...

>One solution might be to create a dummy server.  Mail to SERVER @
 machine
>(where SERVER is listserv, Majordomo, etc.) would be parsed and
>forwarded to the correct address if appropriate, otherwise an
>informational message could be sent back.  This would only work if the
>old host machine were willing to phase out the list in this way, but I
>suspect that a lot of the perl hackers on this list could put together
>something that would do the job OK.

If you can, the best approach is to change the aliases on the old
server to point to the new server.  This works especially well when
the same list manager is used for both lists.  It's trivial to
implement (compared to the dummy server method you described), places
a minimal burden on the old server, and is easy for users.  You just
tell them to use the new address in the future (and change published
references to the new address).  If they forget and use the old
address it magically works.

--
Dave Sill (de5 @
 ornl .