Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1994)

Subject: Re: Need to move a list to a willing host
From: bill @ biome . bio . ns . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 10:33:31 -0300 (ADT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Forwarded message:
>From: Dave Sill <de5 @
 de5 .
 CTD .
 ORNL .

>If you can, the best approach is to change the aliases on the old
>server to point to the new server.  This works especially well when
>the same list manager is used for both lists.  It's trivial to
>implement (compared to the dummy server method you described), places
>a minimal burden on the old server, and is easy for users.  You just
>tell them to use the new address in the future (and change published
>references to the new address).  If they forget and use the old
>address it magically works.

This works fine if the server is moving, but I am talking about moving
just one or a few lists.  Thus the LISTSERV or Majordomo program still
gets the mail, but we need some way to intercept messages for lists that
have been moved.

Bill Silvert

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Need to move a list to a willing host