Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1994)

From: Ravin Asar <rasar @ nsf . gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 10:13:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Moderation or non-moderation of a list is purely a local administrative
decision.  Subscribers should not have to be concerned with knowing that
whether a list is moderated or not.  I don't believe we need yet another
"standard" to deal with mailing lists - people can't even get used to
exisiting conventions such as "list-request" addresses for simple
administrivial requests.

-Ravin Asar
 National Science Foundation Postmaster, Hostmaster
 (IMHO)

On 20 Jun 1994, s.merchant wrote:

> 1. Is there an Internet convention (de facto or otherwise) for naming
>    moderated versions of unmoderated mailing lists?  I.e., one list
>    already exists (let's say the unmoderated one) and I want to create
>    a moderated one in addition.
>
>    If not, I propose "-m" as a suffix.  E.g., a moderated version of
>    this list would be
> 	list-managers-m @
 greatcircle .
 com
>    An exception would be for those Bitnet lists that end in -l, in
>    which case the -m would replace the -l, e.g., cdrom-l @
 uccvma .
 ucop .
 edu