Subject: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 94 19:04:44 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I run a high-volume list with 1700+ and about 50K a day in volume.  I
use the standard list-request @
 site address for administrative
requests.

Because of the volume, the fact that I don't always read all the
traffic on the list, and because I don't wish to condone improper use
of the posting address, I do not process requests sent to the posting
address.  All new members are sent explicit instructions when they
join the list.

I recently received the following threat (posted to the list) from a
member of my list (who has never sent a remove request to the request
address):

>Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 17:47:56 -0700
>To: fatfree @
 hustle .
 rahul .
 net
>From: dejong @
 pacific .
 pacific .
 net (Philip DeJong)
>Subject: REMOVE
>
>I am losing my sense of humor with his nightmare of a group. I pulled
> 108 messages out of my mailbox from the weekend. I have requested
> remove now for the last 2 weeks. If I am not off this group by yesterday
> I am seriously considering the following alternatives.
>     1. Repost the three most disgusting stories I can find from
>alt.sex.etc.      2. Repost the largest binary picture file I can find of a
>suitable              fat person.
>     3. Change my email adress and sue.
>
> I understand from a previous posting that these removes are done by hand.
> I have been patient, but this group has turned by mail box into a dump.
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
>
>Phil DeJong
>dejong @
 pacific .
 net

I did break my long-standing policy and remove this person's address.
But what do you do when you receive threats like this?

--
Michelle Dick       artemis @
 rahul .