Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 11:46:22 +0200
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

+--- Michelle Dick:
| I did break my long-standing policy and remove this person's
| address. But what do you do when you receive threats like this?

I have never received a threat like that, but I would follow my
standard procedure for mis-directed requests first, and hope he would
follow its direction before the "deadline". I probably would have
removed him just in time otherwise.

Here's my form letter:

 ifi .
 uio .
 no .
  It will reach me there. I'm not
honouring your request, although it would be just as easy for me to do
so, in the hope that you will learn from this, and never mistake the
mailing list address from the request address again.

(my lists aren't so volumnious that I can't keep an eye on them)

Quite a few are peeved by this letter, but hopefully it helps them
think twice about correct procedure on leaving their next list.

Kjetil T.