Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 15:22:12 +0200
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

+--- Michael Morse:
| Suppose you went to a department store to return something. Instead
| of going to the return desk, you went to the cashier that sold you
| the stuff. The person there tells you, "I'm sorry, you went to the
| wrong desk. You have to go to the right desk. Yes, I could just as
| easily accept your return here, and save you some trouble, but then
| you'll never learn the correct way to return things to this store."
| Would you still shop there? Would you have a nice feeling about that
| person? Would you appreciate being educated?

Poor analogy. Make it something like this:

Suppose you went to a department store to return something. Instead of
going to the return desk, you ask everyone in the store if they can
help you. Eventually, you come across one of the employees who's off
duty, and who tells you: "I could follow you over to the returns desk
and help you, but I'd rather you walked over there yourself and asked
whoever's standing there." _I_ would feel silly for bothering so many
people needlessly.

However, I have added a paragraph to my text, perhaps making it
clearer why I do this.

-----
> You have just sent your request to hundreds of people worldwide
> instead of using the proper channel.
>
> In order to unsubscribe, you need to send the message to
> ********-request @
 ifi .
 uio .
 no .
  It will reach me there. I'm not
> honouring your request, although it would be just as easy for me to do
> so, in the hope that you will learn from this, and never mistake the
> mailing list address from the request address again.
-----

Kjetil T.

PS. Of course, there may be something subtle in my way of expression
which puts off native speakers. Suggestions for improvements in
personal mail, please.