Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: mmorse @ nsf . gov (Michael H. Morse)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 08:36:39 EDT
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>, List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

> Quite a few are peeved by this letter,

And rightly so.

> but hopefully it helps them
> think twice about correct procedure on leaving their next list.

Actually, it mostly allows you to look down on them.  In the words of
Kris Kristofferson, "Everybody needs somebody they can look down on, If
you can't find nobody else, than he'p yourself to me."

Suppose you went to a department store to return something.  Instead of
going to the return desk, you went to the cashier that sold you the
stuff.  The person there tells you, "I'm sorry, you went to the wrong
desk.  You have to go to the right desk.  Yes, I could just as easily
accept your return here, and save you some trouble, but then you'll
never learn the correct way to return things to this store."  Would you
still shop there?  Would you have a nice feeling about that person?
Would you appreciate being educated?

OK, so maybe you don't care about what people think of you.  The
problem is that most people unsubscribe from lists very rarely in
their lives.  Also, they are not really all that interested in
learning computer geek stuff.  As a result, no amount of insults will
teach them.

--Mike

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members