Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Grayson Walker <gwalker @ rtfm . mlb . fl . us>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 07:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I run a high-volume list with 1700+ and about 50K a day in volume.  I
> use the standard list-request @
 site address for administrative
> requests.
> Because of the volume, the fact that I don't always read all the
> traffic on the list, and because I don't wish to condone improper use
> of the posting address, I do not process requests sent to the posting
> address.  All new members are sent explicit instructions when they
> join the list.
> I recently received the following threat (posted to the list) from a
                                    ^^^^^^ strong word
> member of my list (who has never sent a remove request to the request
> address):

<SNIP> message - plea - to be removed deleted.

> I did break my long-standing policy and remove this person's address.
> But what do you do when you receive threats like this?

The members of the list are YOUR customers. Customers expect service,
nothing more. Your list is a service. I've seen a few complaints from
people whose customers don't follow the "correct" procedure -- almost
as if there is an intent to "punish" the customer for failing to follow
the procedure. Absurd! The frustration of your customer suggests that
the procedure is flawed. I am on MANY lists, and it is very common for
people to send administrative requests to the entire lists. The solution:
adapt to the customer.

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Next: Re: Discussion Lists: Mail Server Commands
From: mmorse @ nsf . gov (Michael H. Morse)
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Marco Hernandez <marco @ yukon . cren . org>
Next: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: rsk @ gynko . circ . upenn . edu (Rich Kulawiec)