Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Marco Hernandez <marco @ yukon . cren . org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 10:45:41 -0400
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

> +--- Michelle Dick:
> | I did break my long-standing policy and remove this person's
> | address. But what do you do when you receive threats like this?
> |

> I have never received a threat like that, but I would follow my
> standard procedure for mis-directed requests first, and hope he would
> follow its direction before the "deadline". I probably would have
> removed him just in time otherwise.

I have received a threat which was similar (actually on of my list
owners did) and before I knew it, my system was being bomarded.  The
guy set up a loop via the elm filter program ...  This was because he
could not unsub from a listproc list (He never bothered to read the
welcome message or contact the owner or get the on line help ???  You
figure).

I eventually had to set up zmailer to refuse all mail from the host,
so he probably got all the bounced when his mailer timed out ...  But
I think there is little you can do.  Put out an FAQ to the lists twice
per month ... (I try and stress this to the list owners)  ...  There
is no protection against ignorant people ...

/marco