Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: rsk @ gynko . circ . upenn . edu (Rich Kulawiec)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 10:17:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: gwalker @ rtfm . mlb . fl . us (Grayson Walker)
Cc: artemis @ rahul . net, list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Posted-date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 10:17:25 -0400 (EDT)

>The members of the list are YOUR customers. Customers expect service,
>nothing more. Your list is a service. I've seen a few complaints from
>people whose customers don't follow the "correct" procedure -- almost
>as if there is an intent to "punish" the customer for failing to follow
>the procedure. Absurd! The frustration of your customer suggests that
>the procedure is flawed. I am on MANY lists, and it is very common for
>people to send administrative requests to the entire lists. The solution:
>adapt to the customer.

The members of the mailing lists that I run will become my "customers"
when they begin to pay me a fee for the "service" that I am providing
to them.  Until that happens, the mailing lists will be run in any
fashion I choose; those who do not care for what they receive are always
free to unsubscribe and/or seek other mailing lists and/or start their own.

The presence of users who cannot manage to learn to use such simple
conventions as the "-request" address does not indicate a "flawed"
procedure; it's just a reflection of a difficulty encountered in
adapating to network culture.  Given time and consistent enforcement,
this difficulty will pass.

---Rsk