Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: scott @ dsg . tandem . com (mueller_scott)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 10:01:42 PDT
To: gwalker @ rtfm . mlb . fl . us
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>I am on MANY lists, and it is very common for people to send administrative
>requests to the entire lists. The solution:  adapt to the customer.

Sorry, wrong answer.  Thank you for playing.

As the person who wrote the first pass at the sub/unsub filter Brent has in
Majordomo, I rather disagree.

Why?

Well, because sometimes the list administrator is a kind volunteer who does
nothing but run the list.  He/she does not read the list, she/he has no
interest whatsoever in the list.  This is not a hypothetical case; there's
a fellow up in Canada (nstn.ca?) that hosts lists at his site because he's
got the software, and when you've got X number of lists, what's one more?
I can pretty well guarantee you that he's not reading all of the lists he
hosts.

Shoot, with some software (e.g. BITNET LISTSERV) the list can be almost
entirely automated, no human intervention whatsoever.  The thing is, you can
yell, scream, shout, whatever, at the list, and no-one will be able to help
you.

--
Scott Hazen Mueller	scott @
 zorch .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members