Subject: Re: Discussion Lists: Mail Server Commands
From: Jim Milles <MILLESJG @ SLUVCA . SLU . EDU>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 1994 18:26:40 -0600 (CST)
To: LIST-MANAGERS @ GREATCIRCLE . COM

Thank you all who offered suggestions on the document I posted
here yesterday.  I have revised the document, "Discussion Lists:
Mail Server Commands," to reflect many of your suggestions for
improvement.

Rather than repeat the entire document, here are the relevant
additions:

>1.4.  This document also does not deal with discussion lists
>to which one subscribes by sending a message to
>"[listname]-request."  There are a great many discussion
>lists of this type; some are distribution lists maintained
>manually by the listowner, while others use some form of
>mailer software ranging from a simple script to a fairly
>sophisticated mailing list program.  Some require that
>subscription requests by placed in the message text; others
>require them to be included in the Subject: line.  Because
>of the variety of methods of maintaining these lists, it is
>impossible to generalize about their command features.
>However, as a rule, assume that any discussion list with an
>administrative address of "[listname]-request" is maintained
>manually by a human being.  Accordingly, you should
>subscribe by sending a friendly message in plain English to
>"[listname]-request."  If a program responds with
>instructions for subscribing, follow the instructions.

>     Mailserv:      SUBSCRIBE [listname] Firstname Lastname
>                    (e.g., SUBSCRIBE ENVIROLAW John Doe)
>                    (Optionally, include the e-mail address at
>                    which you wish to receive list mail:)
>               SUBSCRIBE [listname] Firstname Lastname [address]
>     Majordomo:     SUBSCRIBE [listname]
>                    (e.g., SUBSCRIBE ELAW-J)
>                    (Optionally, include the e-mail address at
>                    which you wish to receive list mail:)
>               SUBSCRIBE [listname] Firstname Lastname [address]

>     Mailserv:      UNSUBSCRIBE [listname]
>                    (UNSUBSCRIBE [listname] [address]
>                    if you subscribed under a different e-mail
>                    address.)
>     Majordomo:     UNSUBSCRIBE [listname]
>                    (UNSUBSCRIBE [listname] [address]
>                    if you subscribed under a different e-mail
>                    address.)

>(Note: with those programs that support the digest option,
>whether or not to offer the digest format is within the
>discretion of the listowner; consequently not all lists offer
>digests.)

The entire document is available as follows:

          E-mail:   Send a message containing only the line
                    GET MAILSER CMD NETTRAIN F=MAIL
                    to LISTSERV @
 UBVM .
 cc .
 buffalo .
 edu .

          FTP:      Anonymous ftp to ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu
                    cd /nettrain
                    get mailser.cmd

                    -- or --

                    anonymous ftp to sluaxa.slu.edu
                    cd /pub/millesjg
                    get mailser.cmd

Thanks again for your help.

Jim Milles (listowner, NETTRAIN @
 UBVM .
 cc .
 buffalo .
 edu)
Head of Computer Services
Saint Louis University Law Library
millesjg @
 sluvca .
 slu .
 edu

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Attitudes, Service, and Mailing Lists