Subject: Re: Limited Perspective
From: rsk @ gynko . circ . upenn . edu (Rich Kulawiec)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 07:53:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: gwalker @ rtfm . mlb . fl . us (Grayson Walker)
Cc: gwalker @ rtfm . mlb . fl . us, artemis @ rahul . net, list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Posted-date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 07:53:59 -0400 (EDT)

>> The presence of users who cannot manage to learn to use such simple
>> conventions as the "-request" address does not indicate a "flawed"
>> procedure; it's just a reflection of a difficulty encountered in
>> adapating to network culture.  Given time and consistent enforcement,
>> this difficulty will pass.
>
>Exactly. Given time and creative work, the problems will be solved by
>someone else. Thanks for your input.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to barbecue you for distorting what
I had to say; instead, I'll attempt to gently explain it to you:

I happen to think that the "-request" convention is a simple, easy-to-use,
easy-to-remember mechanism for handling out-of-band mailing list traffic.
However, it's one of *many* conventions that newbies have to learn in
order to function in network society, and it's entirely possible that
ome of them will miss it, or get it wrong, or forget it.  This does
not make it a "flawed" procedure or even a *bad* procedure; this just
makes it a procedure that some folks didn't catch on the first (second,
third...) try.  Rather than spend time searching for another convention,
or expend a lot of effort trying to use technology to solve what is
essentially a people problem, my position is that consistent use
by everyone involved (i.e. mailing list moderators, such as you and me)
will slowly educate the relevant population and the problem will
gradually diminish.

---Rsk