From: morgan @ engr . uky . edu (Wes Morgan)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 94 08:38:06 EDT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>From: Grayson Walker <gwalker @
 rtfm .
 mlb .
 fl .
 us>

>> In the interest of providing the best service to the largest number
>> of "customers," I may require *all* customers to follow a certain
>> procedure.  I see little fault with this, in *any* business environ-
>> ment; why should we avoid it here?
>
>Wes:
>
>What is the name of your company? How long have you been in
>business? How many customers do you have? What was your gross FY1993?
>How many employees do you have?

I am not a company - that's the whole point!

Analogies are flying around which compare listowners to businesses,
providing services to customers.  I merely used another analogy; if
my intent was unclear, I apologize.

Let me try again, in the absence of analogy:

	As a systems administrator, I support 2100+ users.  In the interest
	of providing the best service to the largest number of them, I may
	require that *all* users follow certain procedures.

I suspect that few of us would have significant heartburn with that
statement.  Now, let's try this one:

	As a listowner, I support 80 subscribers.  In the interest of
	providing the best service to the largest number of them, I may
	require that *all* subscribers follow certain procedures.

If the former statement is valid, why shouldn't the latter be valid as well?

--Wes

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Limited Perspective