Subject: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Grayson Walker <gwalker @ rtfm . mlb . fl . us>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 08:00:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: "s.merchant" <merchant @ anuxv . att . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> >The problem is that most people unsubscribe from lists very rarely in
> >their lives.  Also, they are not really all that interested in
> >learning computer geek stuff.  As a result, no amount of insults will
> >teach them.
>
> That pretty much sums it up.  I have a standard message that's firm
> but not insulting (I don't think) but makes it quite clear that they
> have to resend the request.  Based on my experiences, I would recommend
> the following:
>
> 1. Do not ignore the request as it will generate repeat requests.  At
>    this point, you should be considering the other members of the list
<snip> good discussion deleted for brevity.
> 5. Despite all this, you will STILL get messages sent to the whole list.
>    You have to accept that that's part of what you signed up for when you
>    decided to be the list owner.  The best you can do is to keep the
>    number small.

This is exactly right. "You will STILL get messages sent to the whole list."
Only when we have better processes and systems will this cease to be
a problem.

From: morgan @ engr . uky . edu (Wes Morgan)
Next: Re: Attitudes, Service, and Mailing Lists
From: dhb @ ssd . ray . com (David H. Brierley)
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: merchant @ anuxv . att . com (s.merchant)
Next: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members
From: Dave Sill <de5 @ de5 . CTD . ORNL . GOV>