From: dhb @ ssd . ray . com (David H. Brierley)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 14:11:11 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Jul 7, 15:32, Grayson Walker wrote:

> I recognize this as mildly polemic. Your position may have been defensible
> in the Arpanet and early Internet days, but not today. Today we have lots
> of mailing list members who pay for access to our 'Net. Some of them
> pay non-trivial fees -- I've seen some who pay on a per message basis --
> they get excited when a list upchucks hundreds of null messages -- as the

If people are paying someone for access then they should be able to get help
with problems like this from the person/company they are paying the money to.
I run a small site out of my house and I charge for access to that system.  I
fully expect that if a user of my system has a problem that they will call me
about it and I make sure that all the users of my system are aware of this.
If a service provider is not providing this type of support then why are you
paying them money?  If I have a problem with something that I purchased, my
first action should be to call the place that I purchased it from, not to call
the manufacturer.  If you think of mailing list maintainers as manufacturers
and service providers as stores then I think the support issue becomes a
little clearer.

--
David H. Brierley; Raytheon Company, Submarine Signal Directorate
Work: dhb @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How to handle threats from disgruntled members