Subject: Re: Hard-coded '-approval'
From: Jared_Rhine @ hmc . edu
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 11:17:35 -0700
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

[Some context; I asked about changing the 'list-approval' hardcoded in
Majordomo into something more configurable; my site currently prefers
'list-manager'.]

>> owner-cccp-l: cccp-l-manager
>> owner-solaris-l: solaris-l-manager

JRhine> You'll note that I already do have 'list-approval' aliased to
JRhine> 'list-manager', but the point was that I feel it will easier for our
JRhine> users to remember the convention of contacting a human at
JRhine> 'list-manager' than 'list-approval'.

David> You should be teaching your users the existing Internet convention of
David> using 'owner-list', not 'list-approval' or 'list-manager'.
David> 'list-approval' is strictly an internal Majordomo convention, not a
David> standard by any means.  [...] Other mailing list software (LISTSERV,
David> and others) use the 'owner-list' convention.  (see RFC 1211)

I've never encountered the 'owner' convention in any sort of formalized
setting (RFC1211 included; Weltine and Postel merely state that most people
don't understand list ownership and give their solution to the problem.  The
status of RFC 1211 is that "it does not specify an Internet standard.")  I
use the 'owner-list' aliases because it is how sendmail 8 specifies where
bounces should go; I've never encountered it in any other context and I
would prefer not to confuse the two functions.

David> You'll be doing your users a disservice by getting them used to using
David> non-standard conventions.

I've been ignorant of this "convention" my entire mailing list career and it
has never adversely affected me.  Shrug, maybe I've been lucky, but I have
dealt with a _lot_ of mailing lists and am continually subscribing and
unsubscribing.

Redirecting to list-managers: How prominent is this "standard"?  Of your
lists, how many have 'owner-list' as the owner, and how many have some other
syntax?

--
Jared_Rhine @
 hmc .

"Truth is an evaluation of a statement within a context."
        -- attributed to David Butterfield

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Looking for useful shell scripts etc