Subject: Re: MIME digest format, contents and administrivia
From: David Osborne <cczdao @ unicorn . ccc . nottingham . ac . uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 17:44:09 +0100
To: berg @ pool . informatik . rwth-aachen . de (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Stephen R. van den Berg writes [22 Jul 1994 15:57:41 BST]:

 > As far as I know, MIME digest format only caters for the individual
 > messages inside of it.
 > It doesn't really say what to do with a contents listing or an administrivia
 > paragraph.  Common sense suggests that you'd simply insert these between
 > the header and the first separator (according to the old de-facto digest
 > format).
[...]
 > What do you think is the best way to deal with this (from a digest-generator
 > point of view)?
 > 1. Indeed stick the info between header and first separator.  Assuming that
 >    mail readers will improve and will soon be capable of displaying this
 >    information as well?
 > 2. Create a pseudo message at the front of the digest and stick it in there?
 > 3. Something else?

There's a discussion of how to do this using MIME in Jerry Sweet's paper
on the MIME facilities in MH, "A Multi-Media E-Mail Tutorial With MH"
(available via anonymous ftp:
ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/mh/contrib/multimedia/mhn-tutorial.ps.Z  (141k)
ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/mh/contrib/multimedia/mhn-tutorial.tex.Z (48k)
)

The example in section 4.2 shows how Marshall Rose builds a MIME
version of his newsletter, "The Simple Times", each copy being a
multipart/mixed document, with nested multiparts containing text/plain
parts for the title and contents.  The example isn't a mail digest,
but could easily include a multipart/digest part.  I've been thinking
on and off for a while now of distributing the UKTeX Digest and TeXhax
Digest in this form.

~~David Osborne
  Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham
  (UKTeX Digest and TeXhax Digest editor/moderator)
  mail: David .
 Osborne @
 nottingham .
 ac .
 uk

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: MIME digest format, contents and administrivia