Subject: Re: Clarifications regarding LISTSERV
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ SEARN . SUNET . SE>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 1994 20:08:13 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On  Sun, 24  Jul 1994  19:58:48 +0200  Eric Thomas  <ERIC @
 SEARN .
 SUNET .

said:

>ported to  NT, Windows 4.0,  and quite possibly  OS/2. The code  is very
>easy to  port to new environments  - the first unix  version was created
>from the VM version in about a week, and polished in another week.

*sigh* I knew I was going to make a mistake! The unix version was created
from the *VMS* version, which was the first non-VM version, in 1-2 weeks.
The VMS version  took months to create from the  VM version, which itself
took years  to be rewritten in  a portable fashion (this  work started in
1991).  All versions  use  the same  source  code for  system-independent
functions. I forgot the exact numbers, I think this is about 70,000 lines
of code. The first unix version  was built by compiling this common code,
which knows  nothing about  operating systems, and  then copying  the VMS
interface code, deleting everything that  was implemented with native VMS
calls rather  than C  library calls,  filling in the  gaps, and  adding a
sendmail interface. I  hope this clarifies what  I was trying to  say - I
was certainly  not trying to claim  that porting the original  VM code to
unix was a week of work :-)

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Clarifications regarding LISTSERV