Subject: Re: Policies and problems of lists
From: Cabinet Cat <kieran @ phantom . com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 17:32:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: usr7156a @ tso . uc . edu

On Fri, 29 Jul 1994 List-Managers-Digest-Owner @
 GreatCircle .
 COM wrote:

> Is the trend toward moderated or unmoderated lists? How do you effectively
> deal with users who get out of line (posting off-topic, flaming, etc.)? Does
> anyone out there fear being sued for actions taken while managing a list?

I think there's a growing trend toward more lists that happen to be
moderated, but I don't think it's necessarily going to become The Way to
run a list.  It's just becoming more necessary in some cases as the New
grows and the number of computer-novices grows.

I've toyed with the idea of making my lists moderated, but only because
there are SO many bounced emails and error messages that you have to do
it in order to filter out auto-generated garbage.  Just today my biggest
list got spammed with over 200 copies of the same 5 emails, because a
subscriber's mailer went psycho.  What can you do in such a case, other
than watch dozens of pissed-off subscribers scream?

People out of line?  Well, I like to run my lists loosely...I'll only
throw people off for INTENTIONAL mail-bombing, or out-of-control mailer
problems.  Though I have to admit, sometimes I think about it...it's
very, VERY easy for flame wars to start, even o lists devoted to the
most innocuous subjects.

> I personally feel that joining a mail list is the best way to meet people
> online, and I want to give readers a sense of what to expect and a few rules
> of etiquette (I'll learn to spell that before I write the article).

Rule number 1: The etiquette of a given list is whatever that list's
manager says it is.

Rule number 2: See Rule 1. :)

Seriously though, even the most obvious ones need to be spelled out, in
my experience:  Don't send listserver commands to the list.  Don't quote
entire DIGESTS back to the list.  Don't be a jerk.  for some reason,
these concepts are very hrd for some people to grasp.

 world .
 std .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: New Rider's Internet Yellow Pages